Monday, October 6, 2014

Romancing The Inn

So I've taken a little hiatus from blogging, but now I'm back and I must say I've missed it a great deal. If you've read my last post way back in May, then you know I'm obsessed with ghosts and haunted inns. Book two in my Ravens Hollow series features a medium that is forced to banish a spirit from a haunted inn and wouldn't you know, she falls madly in love with the sexy, brooding innkeeper. 

Last week, on the recommendation of a newly married friend, I went to visit the gorgeous Wolverton Inn located in the quaint city of Stockton, NJ. This lovely B & B is definitely not haunted, in fact, the place is brimming with beauty and romance. Light and love practically emanated off the crème colored walls. 

From the charming out of the way locale to the lush gardens and luxurious rooms, not to mention the gourmet food, I was inspired to come back with my husband and get lost in the dreamy setting for a couple of days. The minute you pull up the long gravel drive, you get the sensation of peace and tranquility.

As I walked up the stone path and gazed upon the gorgeous, three-story stone house for the first time, I let out an audible sigh. I almost expected Heathcliff to come strutting out the front doors with his shirt half open and his hair blowing in the wind. In my opinion, the place is the perfect setting for a romance novel.

The lovely, innkeeper, Carolyn, led me into a cozy sitting room decorated with antique furniture, cozy throw pillows and vases full of colorful flowers. Ah, beauty! Sunlight streamed into the large open space through a set of French doors that led to a charming patio, a perfect spot to enjoy a snack, a kiss, and a glass of wine with your lover. 

I wasn't at all surprised to find out that the inn was listed in 1000 Places To See Before You Die.  All of the rooms have king-size feather beds, fireplaces, and large jacuzzi tubs. There's no TV and children aren't allowed.

Are you getting the picture yet?

Their romance packages include a couple's massage, along with candles, body butter, and scented bath oils.  If that's not enough to get you in the mood for love then you must try the breakfast in bed. Need I say more? How does crème Brulee French toast and cinnamon waffles with maple syrup, ice cream, and sweet berries sound? 

So here's my question, when was the last time your significant other asked you to go away for a romantic weekend? When I proposed this idea to my lovely husband of twenty-three years, his first question after he gaped at me like I was from another galaxy far away, was, 'do they have Sports Center?' Hmmm.

When was the last time you had an overnight away from the kids, the dog, the soccer games and the carpool to just focus on your relationship?

So like the characters in our favorite novels, how do we keep the romance alive? Let me know, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter!  And by the way, if you do get the chance to go to the Wolverton, trust me, you won't be disappointed.



No comments:

Post a Comment