Monday, March 24, 2014

Dream Big


I'm sure you've heard the saying 'Dreams Can Come True'. I have always been one of those people to subscribe to the theory that dreams are a combination of positive thinking, visualization and plain old hard work. 

My dream has always been to write books and become a successful author. Well, I finally finished the book and (drum roll) I'm thrilled to report I've signed a contract with a publisher. But it only took me twelve short years to get there. I hope your journey, whatever it is, has a lot less bumps in the road. 

Along the way, I've tried to obtain that dream by entering writing contests, submitting my work to editors and agents, and going to conferences. 

I'd be lying if I said rejection and a bad contest score (okay many bad contest scores)doesn't sting. It can bring you to tears and make you feel like less than the stuff you scrape off the bottom of your shoe. 

But I wouldn't trade the experience, or the battle wounds for anything. l learned to be strong, to persevere no matter what, and to never give up. I'm not trying to sound like Rhonda Byrne from The Secret believe me. But there's so much truth in her words and her wisdom.  Act as if. Start to think, imagine and fantasize what your life would be like if you achieved this magnificent dreams of yours. Do this every day, even for a minute or two. 

Whether your dream is to write a bestselling novel, run a marathon, or go back to school, start your own business, embark on a new career, or to find the love of your life. Think and believe it will happen. Visualize!

Don't reinvent the wheel. Those words are so simple, yet profound. What are others in your field who have accomplished this dream doing? What was their success story? How about their failures?

Here's what I've learned along the way:

Nothing comes easy. Anything worth having is a lot of hard   back breaking work and can make you want to pull out every last hair on your head.  But the rewards can be mind blowing and outweigh the struggle. Think of your kids.

Don't discount anything no matter how small. Learn everything you can from all your experiences and savor every word of advice you get that resonates with you.

Surround yourself with positive people who support your dream and detach yourself from those that put you down or suck the energy from you.

Good karma goes a long way. Be happy for the accomplishments of those around you. It's only natural to be jealous at times. We're all only human after all, but don't let it turn toxic and know that your time will come.   

Be realistic. Expect to get crushed, and build a thick skin along the way. If the dream is worth it to you then be prepared to throw yourself right back into the pit of snakes like Indiana Jones and release the fear and move forward. Your dreams will  manifest.

Read everything you can about the subject: subscribe to industry newsletters, magazines, blogs.

Join a group and surround yourself with like minded people. 

So in a nutshell, here's to passion! I wish you a huge amount of success on your journey and may all your dreams come true. 




 


 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment